Worth noting that in the 2023 season, the main colors are:
- 'Buttercream' color (whitened yellow)
- The natural color of water or forget-me-not (blue)
- Viva magenta, which Pantone Institute named the color of the year at the end of 2022 (the color of 'herring under a fur coat')
Discussing color in interior design, it's worth mentioning that the color of the walls impacts our wellbeing and mood. It can evoke various emotions and sensations, as well as affect the perception of a room's size and shape. This phenomenon is also known as the psychology of color perception. Here are some examples of how different wall colors can influence our sense of wellbeing:
- White wall color can create a sense of cleanliness, light, and space. This color is suitable for rooms that need to be visually enlarged and brightened. However, too much white can cause feelings of coldness and despair.
Project by KPD.design JK Vlyuber
- Gray wall color can create a sense of calm and tranquility. It is suitable for use in a bedroom or home office where concentration and relaxation are needed. However, too much gray can lead to feelings of depression and gloom.
Project by KPD.design
- Blue wall color can evoke feelings of coolness and freshness. It's suitable for a bathroom or kitchen, where a cool and clean atmosphere is desired. However, an excess of blue can evoke feelings of coldness and loneliness.
Project by KPD.design Apartment for a Young Woman
- Green wall color can create a sense of harmony and tranquility. It's suitable for a bedroom or living room, where a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere is desired. However, too much green can induce feelings of boredom and monotony.
Project by KPD.design Jazz Euro Studio
- Red wall color can invoke feelings of passion and energy. It's suitable for a bedroom or living room, where a romantic and passionate atmosphere is desired. However, an excess of red can cause feelings of irritation and aggression.
Project by KPD.design Two-Story Duplex for a Bright Client
Additionally, it's crucial to consider individual preferences and personal features when choosing a wall color for any space.
Different colors have different effects on adults and children. Color has the power to invigorate or calm the psyche, improve mood or relieve stress. When designing your apartment, take into account the fact that your household members will perceive color shades differently depending on their gender and age. For instance, the favorite color of all infants is peach-beige. In general, women tend to prefer lighter, softer shades, while men opt for monochromatic, cooler tones. The essence of interior design lies in harmony, including color harmony. The favorite color of all toddlers is peach-beige.
Cool colors are soothing, calming, balancing, and help maintain a working mood for longer.
Warm colors have a toning effect on the nervous system. On the other hand, overly bright colors act as triggers, repel and excite. They can be scary when you wake up. This was scientifically proven when people in a blatantly red interior perceived the air temperature as hotter than in a blue room, even though it was absolutely the same. The duration and intensity of color impact matter in color perception.
Red color is bright and emotional, it can evoke a sense of passion, energy, and excitement. If red color is used in moderate amounts, it can create an atmosphere of romance and passion, which makes it an excellent choice for a bedroom or living room. However, too much red color can evoke feelings of irritation, aggression, and even anxiety. Therefore, it is recommended to use red color in moderate amounts and balance it with calmer shades.
Blue color, on the other hand, is more calming and relaxing. It can evoke a sense of coolness, freshness, and tranquility. Using blue color in a bedroom or bathroom can help create an atmosphere of peace and relaxation. However, too much blue color can evoke feelings of coldness and depression, so it's important to balance it with warmer shades.
Additionally, it's important to consider the individual preferences and characteristics of each person when choosing a color palette for a room. Some people may prefer brighter and more saturated colors, while others prefer more calming and neutral shades. Therefore, when choosing the color of the walls and furniture, it's important to consider the personal preferences and mood of each person who will be living in that room.
In addition to the fact that people can perceive color differently, there is a famous story with a chameleon dress that some people saw as black and blue, and others as white and gold. Factors influencing color perception are the spectrum of light radiation, background color, eye properties, and even psychological and socio-cultural factors. When choosing a color paint for an interior, we often encounter the fact that the choice of shades is very large, and this can cause difficulties. We decided to help you avoid typical mistakes when choosing a color for the walls.
Below are 10 practical nuances that will help you not to make a mistake:
- Choosing a color becomes easier when fewer options are offered. Modern manufacturers can provide a huge number of shades and colors, but it's better to choose one of the three to five most popular ones. Ask the consultant to show you a brief atlas of colors to make your choice easier.
- Never choose a paint color solely based on its shade in an advertising booklet or on a computer monitor, as colors on different devices can vary. Use a special catalog that has real samples of the material painted in the desired color.
- It's important to remember that people can perceive color differently. When discussing a color with another person, be sure to show them a color sample to avoid misunderstandings.
- When choosing a wall color, don't forget the opinions of the people who will be living in the room. They may have individual preferences, and their opinion is also important. The color should be comfortable for all residents.
- Be careful with bright and saturated shades. Imagine what a wall with such a color will look like in a large room. Often it's better to choose a lighter and quieter shade, and add bright accessories later. If you still want to see saturated colors in your interior, then call a professional designer. Interior designers and stylists can help you with wall color as choosing colors, materials, textures is part of their services.
- When choosing a color for a wall, consider its surface texture. If the plaster has a texture, then the wall seems a bit darker. This is because the texture creates shadows and a slight grayish hue. You can check this by taking two white sheets of paper, one of which is slightly crumpled and then straightening them out. You will see that a smooth surface is always lighter than a crumpled one. So remember the texture when you are choosing a wall color.
- Before painting the wall in your chosen color, try to see it in real-world conditions. Take a color swatch and look at the chosen shade while being in the room. Compare it with the color of furniture and accessories, turn on different light sources, close the windows with curtains. As a result, you may change your decision and choose a more suitable color.
- A trial paint job can help determine the color choice. Professional builders always do a trial paint job to finally decide on the shade. You can order the tinting of several mini paint cans in different shades that you can't decide between. Apply the paint samples on the wall in the room where the renovation is planned. It's advisable to paint squares of about 1 square meter. Then choose the appropriate color and simply paint over the trial squares.
- Do not allow mistakes during painting as this can affect the final color. To avoid technical errors, carefully study the paint instructions. Pay special attention to thorough surface preparation, observance of temperature and humidity, and paint application technique. Study the instructions yourself to be able to monitor the work of the contractors.
- The final color and saturation of the paint can be seen after it has completely dried. Do not make hasty conclusions, as the final shade may differ from the initial one. Even under optimal conditions, water-soluble paint requires at least 5 hours to dry. However, to achieve the final result, several days may be needed. So, if you don't want to be disappointed in the end, it's important to be patient and give the walls enough time to dry.
If you still can't decide on the color for the walls, consult with a professional interior designer. We can help you on this interesting journey to create a cozy beautiful home.
Read about the 9 rules of using white color in interior design HERE
Fill in the FORM for a color consultation.